Tips for Hiring an HVAC Contractor
HVAC—heating, ventilation and air conditioning—refers to the various systems and technologies that are necessary for temperature regulation and air control in your home.
If something is wrong with any of these systems, it could significantly impact your level of comfort. So, you should consult an HVAC contractor at the first sign of a problem. And even if nothing seems to be wrong, you might want to call an HVAC contractor to perform routine maintenance to ensure your system keeps running efficiently.
Hiring an HVAC contractor is a decision that should be made with careful consideration. You should ensure any contractor you are inviting into your home is reputable and that they will get the job done right at a fair price.
Choosing the right HVAC Contractor
Here are some things to consider if you want to ensure you make the right choice when hiring an HVAC contractor:
- Know what you need: Before you pick up the phone to call an HVAC contractor, you should have certain information handy. You must know exactly what work you need to have done (whether maintenance or repairs), the make and model of your heating or air conditioning system and the maintenance history. You will also need to provide a summary of what the issue is such as odd sounds coming from your furnace.
- Ask for recommendations: If you’ve never had to hire an HVAC contractor before, you should ask for recommendations. See which HVAC contractors your family members or friends have used and ask about their experience. You can also check review sites such as Better Business Bureau, Google and Homestars to see which HVAC contractors near you are well-recommended.
- Check for license and certifications: It is important you hire a licensed and certified HVAC contractor. License and certification will show that the contractor is fit to work on your home have met industry standards for quality and knowledge.
- Ask for proof of insurance: Installing, maintaining or repairing HVAC systems can be quite hazardous. You may be found liable for your contractor’s injuries if you hire someone who is not covered by general liability and worker’s compensation. Before you allow an HVAC contractor in your home, ask for proof of insurance.
- Request an estimate in writing: You wouldn’t want to call an HVAC contractor and get a quote over the phone and then get an invoice with a higher amount. To avoid this, ask the contractor to provide you with a written agreement to which you can refer if there is a price discrepancy when your bill arrives.
- Get a second opinion: If for any reason you are hesitant about hiring the HVAC contractor who has given you an estimate, trust your gut and get a second opinion. Just be sure not to allow price alone to guide your decision. A reputable HVAC contractor should not charge way below or above the industry standard. Find someone who will do quality work at a reasonable price.
Do you need a Toronto HVAC contractor?
If you are looking for an HVAC contractor in Toronto or surrounding areas, give us as call Martino HVAC. At Martino HVAC, we have been serving the Greater Toronto area and Quinte region for over 30 years.
Since 1987, we have provided reliable heating installation in Toronto and repair to residential furnaces and air conditioners. To guarantee the best possible service or installation experience, all our technicians are certified and have undergone a complete background check. We are also fully licensed and insured. So, what are you waiting for? Give us a call today to schedule a consultation with one of our Toronto HVAC contractors.